Frequent market slowdowns and dynamics have squeezed the investments in construction projects. Clients and project owners demand more for less. It’s a prime challenge that structural engineers and various other building industry professionals face in every construction project. They are required to deliver quantifiable return on investments, in form of time and cost savings. To achieve it, they are required to accurately visualize the construction project and assess the spatial relationship between architectural elements and structural framing with building systems. BIM is transforming the way in which structural engineering firms are analyzing structures with multiple complexities and delivering building projects faster.
How does BIM help Structural Engineering Firms?
Building Information Modeling or BIM for structural engineering firms, with Autodesk Revit Structure, not only helps structural engineers to meet client expectations, but also exceed them. Reason being, collaboration and coordination, from early phase and an ongoing activity, is mandatory in a BIM process; and it has literally changed how design teams work together.
It has been more than a decade now that BIM as an intelligent model–based process has assisted structural engineering firms in creating reliable and coordinated design models and use the data/information amongst construction stakeholders to visualize, simulate and analyze the appearance, cost and performance across project lifecycle. Ultimately it helps construction businesses – small or medium, in delivering building projects faster. Today, increasing number of government agencies and building owners are making it a mandate to use BIM for their projects. Though architects were amongst the first ones to adopt BIM, purely based on the benefits that BIM methodology offers; several other building industry professionals including structural engineers, were prompt enough to join the bandwagon.
Structural engineers need assistance from solution providers equipped with tools including BIM with Autodesk Revit for efficient documentation, and visualization with help of Autodesk 3ds Max Design software. Structural engineering firms can get control over end-to-end BIM and AutoCAD based workflows, and various other business processes. This ultimately increases their overall efficiency, improves profitability, and facilitates outcomes of high quality. Information rich BIM models are not only useful in design analysis and documentation, but are also useful for fabrication and construction processes.
Designing, Visualizing and Simulations give better project insights
- Engineers gain efficiency by reducing drawing rework by sharing structural engineering models, that drive fabrication, with help of 3D model based designs created using BIM.
- Structural engineers with help of predictable structural designs, derived with help of analysis and material takeoff features, are able to reduce material and energy waste. Not only this, the analysis tool also helps them in digitally assessing a project’s real world structural performance.
- Obtaining stakeholder approvals and winning new business, becomes convenient a process, through persuasive visualizations that are used to present the idea/concept.
Efficient and Effective Collaboration of Design and Construction decisions
- BIM helps structural engineers with appropriately coordinated and consistent information for documenting accurate designs. This further enables in optimizing the collaboration between contractors, fabricators and steel detailers to reduce construction time, may it be for steel or for a concrete structure.
- Structural engineers can manage the project data across construction project lifecycle – precisely, in spite of the fact that members accessing & utilizing that data are in abundance.
Enhanced Coordination with help of BIM helps in Constructing better Buildings
- Structural engineering tools, along with BIM processes, can design efficiently to reduce errors and increase accuracy.
- Convenience in form of design alternatives, to help in optimizing design outcomes, since the inception stage – is the biggest advantage.
- With help of BIM, structural engineers can align analysis and fabrication to structural design intent & drive intelligent information in the entire project lifecycle.
- Documentation of more accurate designs with help of consistent and well-coordinated information forms the integral part of the intelligent construction model.
Considering the increased requirements for secure, easy to use, and fast to deploy collaboration & data management, BIM solutions for structural engineering firms is the need of the hour. We at Hi-Tech iSolutions LLP, based on our experience and expertise with Autodesk Revit Structure for BIM workflow, have worked with structural engineers across USA, UK, Australia and Middle East, helping them efficiently perform advanced analysis on building structures with multiple complexities.